Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My purpose for starting this blog

I have been re-reading my posts and I want to avoid any misunderstandings. So, I'll take a moment to give you my purpose in starting this blog, and define what it is.

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.
- Proverbs 25.2 (KJ21)

There are segments of Christianity that are hostile to intellectual pursuits. Any attempt to study history, science, literature, (pretty much anything requiring a book OTHER than the Bible) is treated with disdain. You get that "Well-bless-God-I-don't-need-THAT-'cause-I-got-Jesus-and-that's-all-I-need" reply. Is Christ all-sufficient in my life? Absolutely. Does that mean I should throw away my intellect? Absolutely not! God was kind enough to give it to me, the least I could do is use it. But how do we love our God with all our mind?

A person doesn't wake up one morning and find out that they are a "spiritual giant" like Martin Luther, John Wesley or Os Guiness. To love the Lord with all your mind takes time, effort, and, yes, even a book or two. It seems to me that (certain branches of) Christianity want to become "revivalists and reformers" without putting in the blood, sweat and tears. There are seminars, sermons and surface-level teaching on the subject. But, what do they teach? Have they challenged you to learn the intricacies of biology or physics? This would demonstrate the vastness of God's creation. What about art and music? This is a way to enjoy the gifts of beauty and creativity that God gives to fellow men. Do you spend your spare time pouring over calculus and trigonometry? This shows the order God imbedded within His creation. When was the last time you were told to take a course in Koine (Biblical) Greek? This enables you to see the fullness of meaning and poetic beauty in Scripture that the English does not carry. Do you study history and Latin to read the early Church Fathers in the original language? We should know where we have come from. Christianity has very literally changed the world. What would this world be like without it? How about studying what the great men of God studied? (Often they studied each others' writings.) This gives insight into the thoughts of others. You can know that you are not alone; even the greatest theologians pondered and struggled with the same things you do. We have a God who is All in All. That means whether you study mathematics or theology, science or philosophy He is there. You just have to find Him.


In the past 100 or so years, we have made some tremendous advances technologically, and yet, in my opinion, we are less educated than previous generations. We have more information, but less education. We are like parrots. We can recite information (sometimes even accurately), and yet, we have no idea how to think things through on our own. There is no logic.

I believe in a God of order. I believe in logic. I believe the two are related. I think we should come to God with faith, but we should also seek God with our mind.


What this blog is: The name "PhileoSophia" means "love of wisdom". I would like to change the minds of some of those Christians who believe we can dispense with logic and reason simply because we have faith. I also want to reach the intellectual that believes faith is irrational. You can learn about God through reason, but you come to know Him by Faith. Faith is necessary for salvation, and we are to be childlike when we come to God. We are to trust and believe implicitly. But, there is a time to grow in the things of God. We should not be satisfied with "surface-level" Christianity. I am walking through and learning this myself. I don't pretend to have all the answers. We all work out our own salvation in fear and trembling. (Phil. 2.12) I hope we can seek God together with all our heart, soul and mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's refreshing to see the link between the academic subject, and where God can be found in it.

Empirical science was once founded on the idea that we serve an Orderly God, who made an orderly Creation, which operates under rules that could be learned, and not the capricious whims of a pagan pantheon.

This is the sort of thing we need to remind the Body of all over again.

Good on ya. Keep it coming!

Modern Day Magi said...

Great!

I think I may have discovered a likeminded blogger in you PhileoSophia.

As to Proverbs 25:2 see an early post of mine here to get my ideas from that verse and here to find out why I call myself MDM and hereto read my aims as a blogger.

They are each very small posts so wont take long if you are interested.

How does that old saying go?
"Great minds think alikem, but a fool will never differ"

I look forward to reading more of what you post and hope to get back to posting myself when life slows down a little. Final year of uni + 2 kids under 3 + a wife who is also a fulltime student + working 3 days a week to earn the cash does not leave much time to blog unfortunately.

MDM

PhileoSophia said...

Thank you for the compliment. I agree that we do seem to be like-minded. I'm very glad Theophilus showed me your blog! (And even that "other place" where one is ignored for raising a valid point.)

Wow, you're busy! I am amazed that you get time to sit in front of the computer! We have 2 kids under 6, so I understand the time thing. I am also trying to become more active in my church and my son's school. My blogging time is somewhat limited as well.

What are you and your wife taking in university?
Does she have a blog?

PhileoSophia said...

Mustard Grains:
I couldn't have said it better myself. Christians today rob themselves of their heritage. They desire tolerance above truth, they prefer kitsch to beauty and they want forgiveness instead of goodness.

It is a tragedy that many Christians gravitate to the banal and vapid. I guess it's easier than being challenged.