Monday, September 11, 2006

Desiring To Be Peter When the World Needs Paul -- Introduction

The other day, my husband and I were talking about why we started these blogs. There are a few reasons. Here is a sampling:
- We want to strengthen our use of written language.
- We want to be able to articulately state (and defend) what we believe.
- We want to teach, and, conversely, we want to be open to being taught.
- We occasionally comment on other blogs to offer support, insight and compliment a well-thought out point. Sometimes we comment just to hone our debating skills. (Which in my case is sorely lacking!)
But I think the #1 reason that I wanted to do this is because I have come across so many Christians that quite simply lack understanding. Sadly, they lack understanding in a myriad of areas. (For example: Doctrine, cultural relevance, History, Science, English, etc.) As we were talking it through, it kind of came to me: They desire to be Peter, when the world needs Paul. It’s been several days now, and we’re still discussing it. I had not really considered the contrast between Peter and Paul before. Over the next few posts, I will discuss how the church's maligned view of Peter and Paul affect its function, and how that in turn affects individual believers. For now, here is an overview.

Peter: an "unlearned" fisherman who walked with Jesus and was called by God to minister to (mainly) the Jews.
Paul: a well-educated Pharisee who, after a dramatic conversion, was called by God to reach the Gentiles.
The Ministry of Peter: God led a man who was strong in relationship, (i.e. personal knowledge of Christ) to a people who were long on knowledge and short on relationship.
The Ministry of Paul: God led a man who was strong in doctrine to a people who knew nothing of God.

5 comments:

Modern Day Magi said...

interesting contrast,
I look forward to your next posts in earnest.

MDM

Modern Day Magi said...

for some reason I can't comment at Wes's blog. I keep getting an error on the computer and it won't let me. Please let him know I read and enjoy his blog too.

MDM

Anonymous said...

I've been given a little taste of what is to come, and it's really got some good insights, traslateable to our society.

Stay tuned!

Matthew Celestine said...

Good reasons for blogging.

Modern Day Magi said...

long time no blog?

I know life can be busy and hope all is well with you. I was really looking forwad to this series and if you do get time in the future to continue it I will be checking back.


MDM